Thursday, January 21, 2010

Island Survival Kit

“…more intent upon getting at the ship, where I hoped to find something for my present subsistence.”

Robinson Crusoe’s story essentially shows how a man can survive on an island with the only supplies salvaged from his ship. These items collectively create Crusoe’s Island Survival Kit which enables him to live quite comfortably for 28 years.

“Then it occurred to me again, how well I was furnished for my subsistence, and what would have been my case if it had not happened, which was a hundred thousand to one, that the ship floated from the place where she first struck, and was driven so near the shore that I had time to get all things out of her. What would have been my case, if I had been obliged to have lived in the condition in which I at first came on shore, without necessaries of life, or necessaries to supply and procure them?”

The following images list the items and resources that Crusoe obtained from the shipwrecks and from the island itself:

INVENTORY FINAL

INVENTORY SHIP 2 FINAL

INVENTORY ISLAND FINAL

The following list is compilation of the items that Crusoe fabricates from the materials he has salvaged from the shipwrecks and gathered from the island:

INVENTORY OF ITEMS MADE

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful collection of drawings.

    A note for future presentations: When you work with hand drawings and sketches , they are most effective when placed against a white background. A clean, crisp page.

    Black backgrounds used in presentations usually only do justice to AutoCad drawings and computer renderings.

    ReplyDelete