Thursday, January 21, 2010

5 Steps to Civilization

Hunting and Food Gathering: This includes going in tribes and finding food, and finding a shelter that is adaptable to different environments. Some equipment that can be used at this stage are bows and arrows, and food baskets.

Relevance: Robinson Crusoe begins by finding a shelter in a tree then progresses but at first he is focusing on getting a shelter and some food to survive.

“As for food, I yet saw not which way to supply myself, except that I had seen two or three creatures like hares run out of the wood where I shot the fowl.”

Food Production:
At this stage animals are domesticated and agriculture begins. Once flexible shelter is tested, here is where the permanent home begins and farming takes place. The population may also increase. Some props include seeds and fenced animals.

Relevance: Crusoe starts to grow corn and grapes as a way of gathering food, and he also fences off a place to keep his goats.

“Accordingly, I dug up a piece of ground, as well as I could, with my wooden spade, and, dividing it into two parts, I sowed my grain.”

SEA-SHORE SITE PLAN (2 YEARS)

Surplus:
There is an overstock of supplies such as food or cattle. The excess is then put away for emergency or traded. The population continues growing.


Relevance: Crusoe stocks away corn and rice that he can save for periods when it is not the growing season.

“...with fourteen or fifteen great baskets, which would hold five or six bushels each, where I laid up my stores of provision, especially my corn, some in the ear cut off short from the straw.”

SEA-SHORE SITE PLAN (3 YEARS)

Division of Labour:
Farming is not the main job and people spread out into other jobs such as craftsmanship. Skills are developed and trading takes place. Some props include tools, clay pots and trade products.

Relevance: Crusoe starts to learn crafts such as making pots, working on canoes/boats, making different garments out of goat fur/skin, and he slowly develops his way of living comfortably on the island.

“Chapter XXV.—Becomes A Potter, Miller, And Baker”

SEA-HORE SITE PLAN (11 YEARS)

The Rise of Cities:
Population is at large and people are working as a community, establishing government and social structures. Cultures slowly develop and focus is on literature, technology, politics, religion and education.

Relevance: Crusoe finds Friday, teaches him to read and puts clothes on him. He tries to make a little civilization and once he rescues Friday's father and a Spaniard he begins to. He gives them living space and gets them to help him out.

"I worked to make this room, or cave, spacious enough to accommodate me as a warehouse, or magazine, a kitchen, a dining-room, and a cellar."

“During the long time that Friday had now been with me, and that he began to speak to me, and understand me, I was not wanting to lay a foundation of religious knowledge in his mind. I began to instruct him in the knowledge of the true God.”

SEA-SHORE SITE PLAN (28 YEARS)

source: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:-ui8ATwtHnIJ:users.d-web.com/catc/rh/5%2520Steps%2520to%2520Civilization.doc+steps+to+civilization&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

1 comment: